by Magda Saleh
Department Of Political Science
The Center for Asian Studies
(CAS) is an autonomous academic and policy-oriented
research organization founded by the Faculty of
Economics and Political Science, Cairo University on
September 20, 1994. CAS was established to reflect the
growing Egyptian interest in Asia, and it emerged as a
research institution devoted to the implementation of
multidisciplinary social science research on the Asian
continent. It was also founded in response to awareness
that Asia provides the Egyptian academic community with
opportunities to widen the scope of its social science
research by testing its theories in the Asian domain,
and by generating new social science research questions
from the rich Asian cultural diversity.
CASís main objectives are to:
1. Promote inter-disciplinary research on contemporary
Asian issues from academic and policy-oriented
2. Foster increased awareness in government, business,
the media and the general public of key issues and
trends in Asia.
3. Provide consultations to policy makers and
businessmen on Asian affairs.
4. Act as a forum for cooperation with similar research
centers and engage researchers of Asia and the Arab
countries in an array of interactions designed to
promote mutual understanding.
5. Act as a resource base and repository of studies and
documents on Asian affairs.
6. Serve as a liaison between Egyptian and Asian
7. Act as a liaison between Arab universities in the
field of studying Asia.